SPORTS PERFORMANCE COACHING
Did you know that many successful Sports Personalities have used techniques from Sports Performance Coaching to help improve their performance. It is widely documented that many sports personalities have benefited from coaching and also talking therapies and these include leading people in the world of equestrianism, tennis, golf – to name but a few. Sporting success requires many elements including focus, concentration, self belief and motivation.
You can improve your concentration and perform at your best
I see many people who express concerns about rising levels of anxiety spoiling their focus and concentration and ultimately their physical ability, due to the spiral of tension that anxiety creates. We all know that loss of concentration spoils our ability to perform at our best. The object of NLP and visualisation techniques in sports performance is to free up your motivation from negative emotions and restraints and to help you construct an enabling way forward and therefore increase your personal confidence; this way you can perform at you best and develop self belief.
Coaching techniques can help you towards confidence and self belief
Coaching and therapeutic techniques are successful in helping with emotional and psychological problems that may be holding a person back. There are different methods available to help change unwanted strategies and behaviours which are actually disabling us and causing anxiety. For example, have you ever wished away the old states of anxiety or caution that regular creep back into your thoughts, such states that may well be linked to past events and that actually really have no bearing whatsoever on your present situation?
When we function in our normal everyday behaviour, we do so without even thinking about it. So, having asked yourself this question, “am I running old strategies that are disabling me? ” Now ask,” “what would I like to change?” Start now to make notes and to become more aware of any negative behaviour patterns you could change.
The benefit in controlling unwanted anxiety and emotions to increase your focus
We’ve discussed that first it’s about recognising negative emotions and sometimes we don’t know what’s going wrong. Remember, you’re not alone! So now the question is, what would you like to achieve? Perhaps there’s a sportsperson you admire. Most of us have read various media stories of top athletes who have used therapies or sports psychology and we admire those with the most mental control. Whilst few of us will reach the Olympics, most of us want the pleasure in setting ourselves certain achievable goals and feeling the pleasure of success. And success increases our confidence and our sense of well being.
Which Sportsperson do you admire?
NLP can help you to model successful behaviour ….NLP is an effective constructive tool in helping a person to move away from limiting behaviours and to re-frame an enabling position. From this enabling position of growth we can use our motivation to set up states of confidence towards achievable goals . NLP provides the tools to model the selected behaviours of successful people and in so doing you can construct new conscious processes which include re-framing your position by the following: –
- Recognising and disabling negative states and fears thereby …
- Enabling yourself to remove mental obstacles to your success
- Replacing disabling states with new enabling strategies
- Freeing up your emotions by future pacing your realistic new goals
Tailored Coaching for Confidence – An experienced coach has the training and the knowledge to use an integrative tool set to achieve maximum success. We’re all individuals with our separate experiences and memories. Therefore tailored coaching ensures that suitable goals are set for each individual. Tailored coaching promotes ego strengthening (confidence) through: –
- Developing a Positive Self image in line with your belief structure
- Teaching conscious coping mechanisms to manage stress
- Teaching optimum visualisation techniques for self belief
- Moving away from disabling beliefs to ones of success
Coaching can help you to structure your transition
- A Coach can offer a client a supportive and motivating environment in which to explore beneficial change and plan realistic new goals.
- A Coach offers a listening and non-judgmental place in which the client can evaluate new ideas and plan a strategy for change.
- Importantly, the Coach encourages a framework which maintains the client’s motivation and commitment towards his/her desired goals.
About the Coaching Methodology and Coaching Process
Coaching’s fundamental belief is that it is future focused, and for the client this means that coaching is an enabling and motivational challenging and strategic, whilst therefore being open to change, coaching is also realistic. A coach’s my task is to help you by acting as a sounding board by helping you towards desired outcomes by guiding you at different stages. This includes devising agreed strategies towards your goal. The important point is in realistic goal setting and achievable tasks towards reaching your goal so that over time, you increase your motivation levels, step by step as you get closer to your achievement and your confidence grows.
The Coaching Process involves individually tailored sessions to suit each client’s needs. Principal methodology is Solution Focused, incorporating NLP, Narrative Coaching styles and drawing logical perspectives from Cognitive Behavioural.
- An initial free telephone consultation to establish whether the process is right for you
- Contract, questionnaire and covering letter outlining the terms of coaching service, (procedures, methodology and feedback)
- Regular written feedback with agreed tasks towards achieving your desired goal.
- Progress review undertaken regularly (and the coachee is aware that total confidentiality is provided unless otherwise stated).
- Further – The coachee is aware that the coach acts as ‘facilitator and guide’ and cannot make decisions or tell the coachee what to do.
- Sara Howard is a registered senior therapist and coach and is therefore able to help clients through emotional transitional periods. However, for clients making significant life changes, or changing old habits and behaviours it may take time to build the confidence for change and it is therefore often a gradual process.
Call Sara to discuss you personal assessment plan. Tel – 01296 634921 or 07827 505389
Sara is an experienced Personal Development and Business Coach
Qualified BHS riding instructor who has successfully competed.
Full member of The Association for Coaching – to Executive Coach Level
Full Member of The International Stress Management Association